Friday, 11 November 2011

Christ and the Scriptures (2)

This post follows on from my last blog entry in which I stated that I had gathered together seven ways in which the Lord valued Scripture. I noted that the Word of God was His Meditation, the subject of His Conversation, and the source of His Instruction. 

Today consider the four remaining uses made by the Lord of the Scriptures:
  1. His Temptation. In Matthew Ch 4 the Lord is subjected to the onslaught of Satan in the wilderness. We know that, being God, there was no danger of a failure in Him, but we must ask - How did He defend Himself? Three times over, in response to the three separate suggestions of the Devil, the Lord says "It is written"! In trial, in temptation, He rested fully on a proper understanding of the Scriptures of Truth. 
  2. His Proclamation. There were many who gathered at the house in Capernaum to hear the Lord. It had been reported that He was there. So many assembled that "there was no room to receive them". The house was packed full. What was the Lord's response to such a gathering? He "preached the Word unto them"! Nothing but the Word was sufficient to meet the need.  
  3. His Exposition. One of the most beautiful stories recorded for us in the NT is in Luke 24 when two troubled and disappointed disciples were travelling to Emmaus. "Jesus Himself drew near, and went with them" (v15). What did He have as comfort for their troubled spirits? He "expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself" (v27). What an occasion! We are not surprised that the disciples later said "Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?" (v32).
  4. His Conviction. It was the Lord's firm statement in John 10v35 that "the scripture cannot be broken". Of His own words He said "Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away". What confidence and assurance He had in the Word of God, what a high view of Inspiration! 
In conclusion, I ask myself again: In temptation, when MY mind is under attack, do I have sufficient knowledge of the Word of God to say "It is written..."? In MY preaching, is my subject the Word of God or my own ideas? Likewise, when I am teaching, do I give a proper exposition of the text of Scripture? And, finally, do I share the conviction of the Lord concerning the infallibility and inerrancy of the Word of Truth? 

This is a big subject, much bigger than this blog allows, but it is great to note that He has left "us an example, that ye should follow His steps" (1 Peter 2v21)!  

"There was of course but One who never failed
In every circumstance He faced, prevailed -
Our blessed, glorious Lord.
How was it then He won the day in trial?
How did He so defeat a raging devil?
By resting in the Word".

No comments:

Post a Comment