Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Promising or Practising!


There was something special about Peter. He was a born leader of men. He was the natural spokesman for the Twelve, but sometimes he said more than he did.

In John 13:36-38 we get a little insight into Peter: "Simon Peter said to him, "Lord, where are you going?" Jesus answered him, "Where I am going you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterward." Peter said to him, "Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you." Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the rooster will not crow till you have denied me three times"." (ESV)

Notice Peter's Concern: He had heard the Lord say that He was leaving and he asks "Lord, where are you going?" He was close to the Lord, he loved the Lord, he did not want to be left alone. The Lord explains "Where I am going you cannot follow me now..." 

Next, we have Peter's Confidence: "Lord...I will lay down my life for you"! 

Finally, and very sadly, we have Peter's Crash: The Lord said "the rooster will not crow till you have denied me three times". 

This morning, as I considered this sad little story of Peter, it caused me to think of a few very practical lessons:

  1. Peter knew the Lord, but he did not know himself. He had too great a trust in his own ability. This experience would teach him otherwise. To be self-confident is foolish! 
  2. Peter FELT that he could do something but the Lord KNEW that he couldn't. I must learn to accept the words of the Lord even though my feelings tell me otherwise. 
  3. In the upper room Peter could speak confidently of his dedication and devotion. It was quite another thing when circumstances where adverse! At the very least this should keep me from being over-critical of others failures in circumstances I have never been in! 
  4. True Discipleship involves more than Promises - it requires Practices. How often have I promised the Lord my life, how much of it is practically devoted to Him?    
May the Lord help us all not only to promise but to practice, not only to say but to do!    



No comments:

Post a Comment